Friday, January 14, 2011

surrendering anger

"To admit and then let go of anger (and other strong negative feelings) is to find life, a day at a time."  Jan Johnson.

I struggle with surrender, with trust.
Sometimes it feels too difficult to admit, to confront, to work through.

Talk it out with a friend
Journal about it
Take a walk

So many ways to work through that don't hurt anyone else including myself, and yet.... 
I've been told that depression is anger turned inward. 
It is in part. 

For me, it's all about numbness, not wanting to feel hunger for retribution, or communication, or change.

Release, surrender to you, be free

I used to think I wasn't angry.
I do get angry.
At loss
At death
At injustices
At the difference between where I am vs where I wanted to be
At my children and husband
At situations
At evil and fraud
At my best counselors

Surrender to you

Sin desires to have me, but I must master it - surrender it to God.

Is the opposite of anger - joy - seeing it, seeking it, feeling it?   Depression squashes all into a small dark, tired place.   And it's scary to awaken, to feel, to rest and surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment